Trieste’s Civico Museo di Storia Patria is a small but varied museum – its 3 sections are dedicated to the History of Trieste, to the Stavropulos Artistic Collections and to the History of Textiles.
The city’s history occupies three rooms, where paintings and objects evoke atmospheres from Trieste’s past, focussing on its architectural development and on those personalities who built Trieste’s commercial success. Starting with Empress Maria Theresa of Austria who is responsible for initiating the city’s urban expansion, a portrait gallery, on oil and in miniature, a series of city views, a selection of 19th and 20th-century silverware and the rich collection of official medals, show the actual faces, artefacts and architecture of a new city and its new citizens.
The central hall and two other rooms are dedicated to Socrate Stavropulos’ extensive collection, which includes 150 paintings, sculptures and drawings by various Italian and European artists, from antiquity to the 20th century. These were donated by the Triestine collector of Greek origin from 1952 to 1958 and were selected by him for drawing inspiration from the human figure.
Finally, the Textiles room displays a selection from the rich textiles collection of the city’s art and history museums, and aims to offer an example of its huge variety. There are silk fragments from the 15th to the 19th century; formal, evening and ethnic dresses; sacred vestments from the 18th and 20th century; and special attention has been given to creations by Anita Pittoni, an outstanding textile designer from Trieste, active in the inter-war years.
Comune di Trieste
Video by TCD
With the contribution of Friuli Venezia Giulia